This research line focuses on the study of graphene and other 2D materials (graphene and beyond). Our group is pioneering in the synthesis of epitaxial graphene on metals substrates and in its characterization at the atomic level. From 2014 the group participates in the EU Graphene Flagship Project and new research sublines have been added to understand and overcome new related-graphene phenomena.
The on-going research lines are:
1. Synthesis and characterization of graphene
Graphene growth by Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) on metal substrates and characterization of graphene moieties, the origin of the «Moiré» patterns (coincidence networks) and the interaction with the substrate at the atomic level are some of the studies here develop.
2. Intercalation, decoupling & interface
This subline focuses in the development of novel intercalation and decoupling strategies in 2Ds including electrochemical and photo-induced protocols. We perform a characterization of the structural, chemical and electric properties of the alkali/graphene interface
3. Covalent Functionalization of 2Ds & biosensing applications
We have developed a highly controlled covalent functionalization protocol with outstanding versatility that can be used in a huge variety of applications. Currently we have been working in the functionalization of graphene-FETs to be used as graphene biosensors for virus detection.
Patent submitted: “Biosensor for the detection of hepatitis C virus” (Ref: EP1641.1596)
Responsible Scientist: Irene Palacio
- J. Azpeitia, P. Merino, S. Ruiz-Gómez, M. Foerster, L. Ablle, M. García-Hernández, J. A. Martín-Gago and I. Palacio. LiCl Photodissociation on Graphene: a Photochemical approach to Lithium Intercalation. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2021). DOI:/10.1021/acsami.1c11654
- Backes et al. Production and processing of graphene and related materials. Topical Review. 2D Materials, 7, 022001 (2020)
- I. Palacio, L. Aballe, M. Foerster, D. G de Oteyza, M. García-Hernández and J.A. Martin-Gago. Reversible Graphene decoupling by NaCl photo-dissociation. 2D Materials, 6, 025021 (2019)
- I. Palacio, G. Otero-Irurueta, C. Alonso, J. I. Martínez, E. López-Elvira, I. Muñoz-Ochando, H. J. Salavagione, M. F. López, Mar García-Hernández, J. Méndez, G. J. Ellis and J. A. Martín-Gago. Chemistry below graphene: Decoupling epitaxial graphene from metals by potential-controlled electrochemical oxidation. Carbon, 129, 837 – 846 (2018)
- Azpeitia J.; Otero-Irurueta G.; Palacio I. ; Martinez J. I.; Ruiz del Árbol N.; Santoro G.; Gutiérrez A.; Aballe L.; Foerster M.; Kalbac M.; Vales V.; Mompeán F. J.; García-Hernández M.; Martín-Gago J. A.; Munuera C. ; López M. F. High-quality PVD graphene growth by fullerene decomposition on Cu foils. Carbon 119, (2017), 535–543.
- Bueno, J.I. Martinez, R. Luccas, N. Ruiz del Arbol, C. Munuera, I. Palacio, F. Palomares, K. Lauwaet, S. Thakur, J.M. Baranowski, W. Strupinski, M.F. Lopez, F. Mompean, M. Garcia-Hernandez, and J.A. Martin-Gago. Highly selective covalent organic functionalization of epitaxial graphene. Nat. Comm. 8, 15306 (2017).